Fab Lab Reykjavík
Noteː Fab Lab Reykjavik has movedǃ We are now housed inside FB.
We have our own entrance available on the side of the building, straight across from the swimming pool.
FabLab is set up to inspire how you can turn your idea's into a prototype, a product or art & design trough digital fabrication. We teach open source software and have a large facility with various machines and processes available.
- (+354) 567 5522
- Austurberg 5, 111 Reykjavík
- Elsewhere on the Web
- Fab Lab.is
- Fab Lab Reykjavík Facebook page
- Fab Lab kennsla Facebook group
- Fab Lab projects Flickr photo stream
- Project idea's & documentation for teachers
Fab Lab is short for Fabrication Laboratory. Fab Lab Reykjavík was opened on January 24th, 2014 as a collaboration between the Reykjavíkurborg, Fjölbrautaskólinn í Breiðholti and Nýsköpunarmiðstöð Íslands. Our lab's capability's include laser cutting, vinyl cutting, heatpress, 3D scanning & printing, large format cnc milling, molding & casting, creating circuit boards and programming electronics.
- 1 Schedule / Opening Hours
- 2 Teacher training
- 3 Facilities
- 4 FabAcademy
- 5 Internship
- 6 Software
- 7 resources
- 8 User Projects
- 9 Links
Schedule / Opening Hours
Every week we have training time reserved in our schedule for all teachers who want to learn how to Fab Lab.
- Planned Workshops
- new courses will start in September 2017 : follow our news fab lab kennsla facebook group.
Small milling machine
Big milling machine
Note that our Shopbot does not cut Metals
While the Shopbot could cut softer metals (up to Brass) our machine is not set up to cut those.
Molding and Casting
We have a small stock from www.smooth-on.com
- 14x computers with open source software and internet
- 1x presentation console with projector and sound
The Fab Academy is a 5 month part-time course held at the same time in many Fab Lab around the world, starting each year in January. The program provides advanced instruction about rapid prototyping. Learning how to design, develop and build with digital fabrication techniques and electronica. Weekly classes are directed online in English, by Neil Gershenfeld (of MIT’s Center For Bits and Atoms) and supported by instructor in the local Fab Lab.
The Fab Academy is a fast paced. A hands-on learning experience where you plan and execute a new project each week. Each individual documents their progress of each project, resulting in a personal portfolio of technical accomplishments. Progress towards the diploma is evaluated by the student’s acquired skills rather than time or credits.
- Read more ...
- Fab Academy archive (2009 - present)
- Questions and/or local signup can be directed to
- class 2017 - Fab Lab Hornafjördur
- Birkir Thór Hauksson
- class 2016 - Fab Lab Reykjavik
- Árni Jón Sigurjónsson
- Halldór Berg Sæmundsson
- Þorbjörn Þorgeirsson
- Inger Le Gué-Pelt
- Haflidi Ásgeirsson
- Vilhjalmur Magnusson
- class 2016 - Fab Lab Vestmannaeyjar
- Baldvin Búi Wernersson
- Arnar Sveinn Guðmundsson
- Aron Máni Símonarson
- class 2015 - Fab Lab Reykjavik
- Skúlína Hlíf Kjartansdóttir
- Þórarinn B.B Gunnarsson
- Sigridur Helga Hauksdottir
- Margret Oskarsdottir
Each semester Fab Lab Reykjavik can accept interns, of all experience levels and backgrounds. We can host training to a maximum of 2 participants at the same time. We are not able to give compensation for the works hours. And if you are a international student, you need to arrange your own housing for the duration of the stay. We require a minimum time commitment of 3 days per week throughout a scheduled time from 3 - 6 month. In return you will be getting full access to the Fab Lab & the equipment and you will get training and mentoring from us.
If you are interested in this experience, please send an motivational letter to email@example.com
- What we offer
- Introduction and training to different digital fabrication and prototyping methods with our equipment
- Access to our machines (3D printers, vinyl cutter, lasers, electronics station and a large format milling machine)
- The opportunity to design and build your own project
- We provide all the tea & coffee you can drink. ;)
- Upon request, it is possible plan a multiple day visit to one of the rural located Fab Lab's in Iceland.
- What we expect from you
- Assisting in scheduled Fab Lab events/workshops and during public open hours (8 hours per week)
- Commitment to build (and document) your own project when you're in the lab
- Commitment to help develop one aspect of the Lab's core functions (business, marketing, design, educational field)
- Spend 3 - 5 days a week in the lab
- To have basic knowledge of 2D/3D digital design techniques or digital fabrication experience.
- Student documentation at Fab Lab Reykjavik, February - April 2017
- Aurelie, Digital creation - France
- Christophe, Digital creation - France
- Tuisku, Textile Artisan - Finland
- Student documentation at Fab Lab Reykjavik, october - december 2016
- Viðar, electronics student FB - Iceland
- Tómas, electronics student FB - Iceland
- Birkir Örn, electronics student FB - Iceland
- Johanna Ervasti, Textile Artisan - Finland
- Sanna Nikula, Textile Artisan - Finland
- Student documentation at Fab Lab Reykjavik, february - april 2016
- Marko Hietala, Ancient Handcrafts Artisan - Finland
- Sirja Valtanen, Textile Artisan - Finland
- Henna Jokinen, Clothing Artisan - Finland
Photostream students ː https://www.flickr.com/photos/fablab-reykjavik/albums/72157669113082401
available on the computers in our Fab Lab
- online databanks
- thingiverse, living hinge patterns, http://www.craftsmanspace.com, instructables, digital woodjoints, github, fablabs.io/projects
- other startups / beta projects
- flatfab.com, smoothie-3d.com, mattermachine.com, Autodesk Shapeshifter
- many project photo's are gathered onː flickr.com/fablab-reykjavik
- Laugargardur project | lasercutting | ENG | creating low budget promotion material for garden project
- Prentaður takki fyrir standborvél | 3D printer | IS | replacing broken switch of drillpress
- Svona geri ég | 3D printer | ENG | artist creating sculpture for exposition
- Lettering tool | lasercutter | ENG | teacher making a custom drawing tool for her students
- Amulet | shopbot | ENG | milling in small pieces of wood
- Model excavator | 3D printer | ENG | handbuild model of an excavator
- Christmas decoration | lasercutter | ENG | learning how to lasercut decorations
- Student projects
- Order to effect | lasercutting | ENG | cardboard decoration project for 'Design March'
- Let's Yellow | lasercutting | ENG | making a plexiglass 'poster'
- Hinn fínasti órói | lasercutting | IS | making a hanging mobile
- Hlekkur | shopbot | IS | furniture clip prototyping
- Scale model Bern Swizerland | lasercutting | ENG | cardboard houses project
- Furniture design class | shopbot | ENG | furniture design class
- Project with tutorial
- Lasercut linoleum stamps | lasercutting | ENG | testing out linoleum setting for stamp making
- 3D printed phone case | 3D printer | ENG | designing a phone case cover
- Sliced cardboard bunny | lasercutting | ENG | making a cardboard bunny in 3D
- Analog modular synthesizer panel | lasercutter | ENG | using paint to highlight engraving
- Design developed in the lab
- whalemobiles.com | lasercutting | ENG | Tests new design functionality
- Börkur Design | lasercutting | IS | Tests new designs before committing to production
- Project still in development
- Automated central tire inflation system | PCB milling | ENG | student project at Reykjavik University
- HiKnitterStream | electronics | ENG | how to hack a knitting machine
- GuRa design | various | ISK | small diverse projects to learn new techniques