Fab Lab Reykjavík
We are set up to inspire how you can turn your idea's into a prototype, a product or art & design trough digital fabrication. We teach open source software and have a large facility with various machines and processes available.
- (+354) 567 5522
- Eddufell 2, 111 Reykjavík
- Elsewhere on the Web
- Fab Lab Reykjavík Facebook page
- Fab Lab kennsla Facebook group
- Fab Lab projects Flickr photo stream
- Project idea's & documentation for teachers
Fab Lab is short for Fabrication Laboratory. Fab Lab Reykjavík was opened on January 24th, 2014 as a collaboration between the Reykjavíkurborg, Fjölbrautaskólinn í Breiðholti and Nýsköpunarmiðstöð Íslands. Our lab's capability's include laser cutting, vinyl cutting, heatpress, 3D scanning & printing, large format cnc milling, molding & casting, creating circuit boards and programming electronics.
- 1 Schedule / Opening Hours
- 2 Teacher training
- 3 Facilities
- 4 FabAcademy
- 5 Software
- 6 User Projects
- 7 Video
- 8 resources
- 9 Links
Schedule / Opening Hours
Every week we have training time reserved in our schedule for all teachers who want to learn how to Fab Lab. Everybody is welcome from 3 till 6 o'clock. In this time you can work on your own interest and consult with us about class projects. We have 14 computers available, but I recommend bringing your own laptop with you as well.
- Each session we will introduce new topics.
- lecture is free of charge, and will be in English.
- to stay up-to-date with our teachers events : follow our fab lab kennsla facebook group.
- and you can send questions or topic requests to email@example.com
- Topic schedule
- Monday 21 September : inkscape - vinyl cutter - How to make a (multi- colored) sticker
- Monday 28 September : tinkercad - How to make a 3D drawing
- Monday 5 October : inkscape - laser cutter - How to laser cut a press fit object
- Wednesday 14 October : inkscape - vinyl cutter - How to make a (multi- colored) sticker
- Monday 26 October : 3d scanning - How to scan a object with 123D Catch
- Monday 2 November ː ..?
- Monday 9 November ː ..?
- Wednesday 18 November : inkscape - laser cutter - How to laser cut a press fit object
- Wednesday 25 November : tinkercad - How to make a 3D drawing with Tinkercad
- Wednesday 2 December : 3d scanning - How to scan a object with 123D Catch
- Wednesday 9 December : ..?
- Wednesday 16 December : ..?
Small milling machine
Big milling machine
Note that our Shopbot does not cut Metals
While the Shopbot could cut softer metals (up to Brass) our machine is not set up to cut those.
Molding and Casting
We have a small stock from www.smooth-on.com
- 14x computer with open source software and internet
- 1x presentation console with projector and sound
The Fab Academy is a 5 month part-time course held at the same time in many Fab Lab around the world, starting each year in January. The program provides advanced instruction about rapid prototyping. Learning how to design, develop and build with digital fabrication techniques and electronica. Weekly classes are directed online in English, by Neil Gershenfeld (of MIT’s Center For Bits and Atoms) and supported by instructor in the local Fab Lab.
The Fab Academy is a fast paced. A hands-on learning experience where you plan and execute a new project each week. Each individual documents their progress of each project, resulting in a personal portfolio of technical accomplishments. Progress towards the diploma is evaluated by the student’s acquired skills rather than time or credits.
- Read more ...
- Fab Academy archive (2009 - present)
- Questions and/or local signup can be directed to
- class 2015
- Skúlína Hlíf Kjartansdóttir
- Þórarinn B.B Gunnarsson
- Sigridur Helga Hauksdottir
- Margret Oskarsdottir
available on the computers in our Fab Lab
- Laugargardur project | lasercutting | ENG | creating low budget promotion material for garden project
- Prentaður takki fyrir standborvél | 3D printer | IS | replacing broken switch of drillpress
- Svona geri ég | 3D printer | ENG | artist creating sculpture for exposition
- Lettering tool | lasercutter | ENG | teacher making a custom drawing tool for her students
- Amulet | shopbot | ENG | milling in small pieces of wood
- Model excavator | 3D printer | ENG | handbuild model of an excavator
- Christmas decoration | lasercutter | ENG | learning how to lasercut decorations
- Student projects
- Order to effect | lasercutting | ENG | cardboard decoration project for 'Design March'
- Let's Yellow | lasercutting | ENG | making a plexiglass 'poster'
- Hinn fínasti órói | lasercutting | IS | making a hanging mobile
- Hlekkur | shopbot | IS | furniture clip prototyping
- Scale model Bern Swizerland | lasercutting | ENG | cardboard houses project
- Furniture design class | shopbot | ENG | furniture design class
- Project with tutorial
- Lasercut linoleum stamps | lasercutting | ENG | testing out linoleum setting for stamp making
- 3D printed phone case | 3D printer | ENG | designing a phone case cover
- Sliced cardboard bunny | lasercutting | ENG | making a cardboard bunny in 3D
- Analog modular synthesizer panel | lasercutter | ENG | using paint to highlight engraving
- Design developed in the lab
- whalemobiles.com | lasercutting | ENG | Tests new design functionality
- Börkur Design | lasercutting | IS | Tests new designs before committing to production
- Project still in development
- Automated central tire inflation system | PCB milling | ENG | student project at Reykjavik University
- HiKnitterStream | electronics | ENG | how to hack a knitting machine
- GuRa design | various | ISK | small diverse projects to learn new techniques
- Fab Lab Reykjavik in the news: Menningarbylting í Breiðholtinu
- Fab Lab Reykjavik introduction
- FAB10 Documentary
- Sherry Lassiter: FabLab - stafræn framleiðslubylting
- Fab Lab Vestmannaeyjar introduction
- online databanks
- thingiverse, living hinge patterns, http://www.craftsmanspace.com, instructables, digital woodjoints, github, fablabs.io/projects
- other startups / beta projects
- flatfab.com, smoothie-3d.com, mattermachine.com, Autodesk Shapeshifter