Inkscape is a open source vector graphics software, which runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The program has drawing tools comparable to Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW and Xara Xtreme. Help and support is provided by the community to help get you started with your designs. Inkscape is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy, a US 501(c) (3) non-profit organization.
To download inkscape, visit: http://www.inkscape.org
Inkscape began in 2003 led by a team of four former Sodipodi developers. With Inkscape, they said they would focus development on implementing the complete SVG standard. Since the start Inkscape's developers changed it greatly: They rewrote it from C into C++; adopted the GTK+ toolkit C++ bindings (gtkmm); redesigned its user interface, and added a number of new features. Notably, its implementation of the SVG standard, although incomplete, has shown gradual improvement. Rather than top-down governance, its developers strive to encourage where individual developers derive their authority from their ability and active involvement in the project. Indeed, these values allow Inkscape's founders to remain well represented in the decision making project without deterring newcomers, who, in turn, have come to play prominent roles.
To read more about this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkscape
How to make ...
- Vinylcutting: How to make name sticker
- Lasercutting: How to make a pressfit design
- YouTube: Designing a Simple Logo
- YouTube: Drawing a flourish/flower
- YouTube: Drawing pixel art
What is SVG?
- SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics
- SVG is used to define vector-based graphics for the Web
- SVG defines the graphics in XML format
- SVG graphics do NOT lose any quality if they are zoomed or resized
- Every element and every attribute in SVG files can be animated
- SVG is a W3C recommendation
Advantages of using SVG over other image formats (like JPEG and GIF) are:
- SVG images can be created and edited with any text editor
- SVG images can be searched, indexed, scripted, and compressed
- SVG images are scalable
- SVG images can be printed with high quality at any resolution
- SVG images are zoomable (and the image can be zoomed without degradation)
How to prepare inkscape file for machine usage