Introduction course FabLab Reykjavik
Menntun núna offers a free 3 sessions course in Fab Lab where we will show you all the possibilities within our Lab. We will make you familiar with designing in inkscape (a free design program), followed by laser cutting and / or vinyl cutting your design.
- Course 1: Mon. 22.9, Wed. 24.9 & Frid. 26.9 at 13:00 - 16:00
- Course 2: Tue. 23.9 & Thur. 25.9 at 18:00-21:00 & Sat. 27.9 at 09:00 - 12:00
Location: FabLab Reykjavík - Eddufelli 2, 111 Reykjavík.
For questions call: 567 5522
Session 1 - introduction day: welcome to the lab
Show & Tell, introduction to the possibilities in the lab. Demonstrating machine's & showcase different user projects.
Homework: think about a personal design, & if needed, prepare a simple sketch.
Session 2 - designing day: introduction to inkscape.
Walk trough inkscape, learn how to trace drawing & how to draw by hand, and how to edit shapes & text.
Before class: If you bring your own laptop, download & install inkscape.
Session 3 - the make day: working on the vinyl cutter and laser cutter.
Documentation session 1
welcome to the lab
- introduction movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zlp0g9Gcvg
- talk on planning for the 3 sessions
what is a fablab
- more then 400 lab's worldwide: https://www.fablabs.io
- currently running in iceland: Reykjavík, Vestmannaeyjar, Sauðárkrókur, Ísafjörður
- new startup's: Fjarðabyggð, Hornafjörður
- status currently unknown: Akranes, Keflavík
what can you do in a fablab (expectations)
how do you work in a fablab
- talk on workflow fablab Reykjavik (groups and/or individual users)
fab charter (guideline of fablab's global)
- talk on use of our materials
- talk on documentation
- quick start guide on working on the WIKI: http://wiki.fablab.is/wiki/FabWIKI_quick_start_guide
- machine list fablab reykjavik: http://wiki.fablab.is/wiki/Fab_Lab_Reykjavik
- photo stream fablab reykjavik - example projects: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fablab-reykjavik/
Fab Academy - How To Make (almost) Anything.
- Fab Lab Reykjavik can handle max 8 participants, sign up before December 2014.
- Course runs from January to July 2015. Study time about 16 – 25 hours per week.
- names of everyone
- background, career or field of interest ? (adding missing info to the list)
- your expectations of this workshop session ?
show & tell - samples
- talk on vinylcutter, heatpress, lasercutter, 3D printer, electronics, molding/casting, composites, modela, shopbot.
- demo vinyl cutting > how to transfer sticker: Roland_GX-24_CAMM-1
- demo laser engraving & cutting: Epilog_Mini_24
- demo 3D scanning kinect > selfie > printing with makerbot: 3D_scanning_with_Kinect
- demo shopbot > milling example: Shopbot_PRSalpha_120x60
- if interest in group: robot tail & electronic board > miscroscope Electronics_workspace and fabacademy robot's tail project
Making - Living - Sharing
- if time, watch movie (inspiration - a FabLab world tour documentary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNr1yBIgQCY
- think about a personal design, what would you like to make / learn ?
- (& if possible) make a simple sketch on paper / prepare your idea.
- (& if needed) bring in materials of your own for next session.
Documentation session 2
if you bring your own laptop: download & install inkscape via: http://www.inkscape.org
Usefull tutorials on inkscape
If you find more useful tips for inkscape, let us know. :) Email us or create a account on the wiki and and add it to our inkscape page.
talk walk trough, about options you see on the screen (toolbar etc.)
First practice on vinylcutter
- making a name sticker: Inkscape_how_to_make_name_sticker
- talk on typing text + making a shape & union the letters.
- then the prepare PDF (stroke & fill menu)
Cutting out your first sticker
- talk on how the machine works & and preparing the cut sticker with transfer tape.
Drawing in inkscape
how to trace bitmap
- video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCFRI3knhE
- show examples of tracing bitmap (starbucks, smile & a photo example)
- edit vectors (break apart)
how to draw a basic shape
- video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiUR3HRKEA
- how to make a heart shape
- Union shapes
how to draw by hand
- video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgWhnf_p3k
- show examples (sketch leaf example)
Practice by doing
- answering individual questions.
- Guide people with lasercutter, or do it yourself on vinylcutter.
Documentation session 3
- repeat shortly the steps from last session. (union, difference, trace bitmap, break apart, drawing by hand)
- repeat how to prepare PDF. (stroke & fill menu)
- Answer questions.
Time to make stuff ...
Let people work on their own projects...