Makerbot Replicator 2X
The Makerbot Replicator 2X is a desktop 3D printing machine. This machine can print out sculptures with a maximum height of 15 cm in ABS filament. You will need to prepare a 3D model in the shape you want to print and export this as .obj or .stl format.
|Makerbot Replicator 2X|
|Maximum build volume (mm):||L 246 X W 152 X H 155|
*Makerware Use this software at home to check printing time estimation
- Thinkercad online drawing tool, good for first time leaning
- Sketchup Good for furniture-like projects
- Fusion360 Possible to set parameters and relations to you design
- Blender For making/editing complex (mesh) sculptures
- Rhino 3D Not open source, but available on computers in the Fab Lab Reykjavik
- Shapeshifter simple online tool for making geometric shapes
- Thingiverse Manny free 3D models, shared by users
Portal:Safety: Do not put your hands near the printing nozzle unless you are sure that the machine is not going to move. And be aware that it has a heating element. Hot!
How to prepare for 3D printing
- To prevent printing issue's, make sure that your design is a 'water tight' object.
- Export your design as .STL or as .OBJ
- Inport your file to Makerware program. ( View: How to use Makerware )
- Set up your settings, then check printing time estimation.
- Export file as X3G format and copy that to SDcard of 3Dprinter to start printing.
- Devices > Select type of device > Replicator 2X
- Settings button > Set up the 'Quick tab'
- Print quality > LOW ( result example print )̈
- Raftː turn on if needed (extra platform beneath your design)̈
- Supportː turn on if needed (print creates support columns beneath overhangs in your design)̈̈
- Layer height/infill/number of shells can stay on default settings
Troubleshooting 3D printer
Photostream ː More project examples here.